It is believed that Goddess manifested here in the year 1200 AD but the temple inscriptions date to 1880 AD. As per the folklore, In the year 1880 AD, Goddess appeared in the dreams of devotees Marella Machiraju and Grandhi Appana and revealed her whereabouts. As instructed by the goddess, these two devotees uncovered the Idol in the mango farm. These two devotees built the temple for the Goddess in the year 1880 AD.
Annual Jathara will be celebrated for a month, which starts on Jyeshta Suddha Padyami. In the year 1910, due to floods in the Bhimavaram, Idol was partially damaged. In the year 1920, a sculptor Tatavolu Nagabhushana acharya from the village Kalla restored the temple and the Idol. After which, goddess appeared ferocious and devotees used to fear to visit the temple. Later the sculptor Grandhi Apparao made the changes and brought the appearance from ferocious form to the present peaceful form.