The 13 tier Vimana Gopura is of 58 mt tall. 29 mt Square base supports the octagon shaped Sikhara. This cupolic dome weighs 81 tons rests on a single block of granite, which is 7.8 mt square. The four corners of the Sikhara are ornamented by two Nandis each. The unique feature of this Vimana is that its shadow never falls on the ground. This Vimana Gopuram is considered as Dakshina Meru ( Meru Mountain of the South). Huge Siva Linga in the Vimana Gopuram is of 8.7 mt high. Lord Siva her known by Brihadeeswarar.
How to reach Brihadeeswarar Temple?
- Tiruchirapalli International airport is 61 km away
- Direct train is available from Chennai Central to Thanjavur.
- From Chennai, Temple is 382 km away.
- From Tiruchirapalli, it is is a 1-hour drive from the airport.
- A direct bus is available from Chennai CMBT to Thanjavur.