This temple is of 1500 years old and belongs to Saliavahana Sakam 515. This temple was built during the reign of Chola King, Krimikanta Chola in the 5th century AD. During this time Chola King installed Eight village deities on the eight corners of the Village. This temple received patronage from Gajapati Kings and then by Vijayanagara Kings. This temple was exploited by the Muslim Kings and then by British rulers. French rulers demolished the eight deities in the village. The present Village deity Poleramma was installed in the South direction by the devotees.
The temple was renovated by Diwan Sri Raja Kadrengula Jogi Jagannatha Rao Bahadur from Rajahmundry and later by Raja Vasireddi Venkatadri . Temple tower was built by the Zamindar of Challapalli, Raja Vasireddi Venkatadri in 1850 AD. The temple tower of 85 ft tall and 25 ft wide was collapsed on 23 Oct 11.