Kanchipuram Ekambareswarar Temple History
Kanchipuram Ekambareswarar Temple History , Architecture
This ancient temple was renovated by Pallavas, Cholas and then by KrishnaDeva Raya of Vijayanagar dynasty during 1509 - 1529 AD. Raja Gopuram (Temple Tower) is of 57 meters high, one of the tallest towers in South India. This Temple has five spacious corridor (prakarams) and a beautiful 1000 pillared hall (Aayiram Kaal Mandap). This temple has 1008 Siva Lingas. Temple Tank Kampai Tirtha is believed to have underground holy river, is located right opposite to the temple.
The Sri Chakra in this temple was installed by Adhi Sankaracharya, having 34 Trikonas (triangles). This Chakra is made out eight herbals called Astagandham. Abhishekam will not be performed to this chakra. Pooja will be performed with Sandal an other cosmetic powders and archana with Kumkum. On the day of Vijayadasami during Navarathri festival, this Chakra will be covered with gold and silver on all other days.
The base for this chakra is of Kurma shape and is respected as Raja Yantra.
Ekambareswarar Temple Timings
Morning Hours: 6:30 am - 12 pm
Evening Hours: 4:00 pm - 8:30 pm